The Civic Signals Project is seeking a Chief of Staff to work closely with co-director Eli Pariser.
Civic Signals is a community of designers, builders and thinkers. We share research, inspiration and visions of public-friendly physical and online spaces to help create a better digital environment for everyone. In 2020 we will conduct and launch more foundational research, share stories about what works in some exciting and innovative ways, and organize a highly unusual gathering in the heart of Silicon Valley. You can learn more about it at Civicsignals.io.
By taking this position, you will be added to the staff at the National Conference for Citizenship and work closely with their team but all tasks would be supporting the Civic Signals Project.
NCoC is a congressionally chartered organization dedicated to strengthening civic life in America. We pursue our mission through a nationwide network of partners involved in a cutting-edge civic health initiative and our cross-sector conferences. At the core of our joint efforts is the belief that every person has the ability to help their community and country thrive. NCoC is based in Washington, DC, but this position is in Brooklyn, NY.
YOUR MISSION AS CHIEF OF STAFF: Support the Civic Signals team on project management, administration, and community-building.
- Overall project management
- Oversee event operations and progress
- Coordinate group meetings and events
- Manage budgets and financial systems with NCOC bookkeeping
- Assist with managing workflow
- Support the compilation for information for grants and partners
- Executive support
- Work closely with project director Eli Pariser to manage and coordinate meetings, inbound inquiries, and relationships.
- Schedule all meetings and calls (when calls feature other departments, work with various assistants to coordinate schedules to accommodate)
- Manage standing meetings and maintain complete control over calendars
- Manage preparation for internal and external appointments including conference calls and circulating schedules/ agendas
- Various personal tasks on an as-needed basis
- Make travel arrangements and organize logistics for group meetings.
- Marketing management
- Help create and manage content creation plan
- Source/managing freelancers/consultants/contractors to execute on delivery of thought leadership and community building
- Community/Network building and development
- Engage and cultivate talent and interested people
- Think creatively and pro-actively about how to build an inclusive and more equitable community.
- Find and build partnerships with other allied groups and institutions.
Background + Qualifications:
- New York City based
- College graduate with minimum 4 years experience in project management, operations, administrative or executive assistance, or related fields.
- Demonstrate a strong interest in the field(s) of civic technology, urban planning, or community-building
People who are a good fit for this position are…
- Extremely fast-moving and detail-oriented.
- Clear and personable written and verbal communicators.
- Skilled with cloud-based office technology (Google Docs and Sheets, Gmail, Zoom, etc.)
- Passionate for Civic Signals’ mission and purpose and able to communicate this passion to others
- Self-starters with excellent organization skills; able to anticipate needs and be proactive
- Able to prioritize what’s most important.
- Great team-mates and collaborators.
- Honest, principled, and ethical.
- Ambitious for the work, and willing to work hard to achieve it.
Salary Range and Benefits: $70,000-$95,000 depending on experience. NCoC provides a nurturing work environment and generous benefits for our employees.
Location: Fort Greene, Brooklyn, NY
To apply: Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title in the subject of your email. Please no telephone calls or additional emails.
At NCoC, we value excellence, creativity, and initiative.We are an equal opportunity employer and an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply. Please let us know if you have served in one of these programs. NCoC is based in Washington, DC.