The Algorithmic Transparency Institute (ATI) at The National Conference on Citizenship (NCoC) is seeking motivated, professional student interns who want to learn about increasing algorithmic transparency while performing a variety of duties for our various projects.
The Algorithmic Transparency Institute seeks to improve the transparency of algorithms that shape society by providing tools and data that can be leveraged by all to hold the powerful accountable. ATI develops tools, methodologies, data sets, and investigations that support research and journalism about digital platforms with a commitment to the highest ethical standards of research, data collection, and user privacy.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with a small team in a dynamic and exciting professional setting. The internship program will provide opportunities to learn about threats posed by mis- and disinformation to nonprofit community advocacy groups and the broader public. Interns will gain exposure to all facets of this growing program.
Our work involves several different areas in which interns can build their skills, as well as various topic areas:
- Social media monitoring intelligence and analysis
- Data collection and analysis (technical expertise required)
- Civic engagement and volunteer management
- Empowering marginalized and underserved communities (non-English language expertise a plus)
Misinformation topic areas
- Election and Voting Protection
- Climate Protection
- Public Health
- Immigration Rights and Protection
- Social Justice
- Women’s Rights and Protection
As an intern at ATI, you will have an opportunity to:
- Learn about the threats posed by mis- and disinformation to nonprofit, advocacy, research, and journalism groups.
- Gain exposure to different facets of misinformation content and data analysis.
- Play an important major role in developing products and research to empower communities to become more resilient to misinformation.
- Build technical tools
- Understand civic engagement dynamics and convene volunteer groups from various organizations and topic areas.
- Analyze and write about mis-/disinformation narratives
Requirements for the internship include enrollment in an accredited college institution, outstanding skills in research, collaboration, writing and a strong interest in civic engagement in a nonpartisan way
Responsibilities to include:
- Database management and upkeep
- Categorizing and analyzing misinformation
- Assisting volunteer management and outreach (CLC)
- Enrolled at a university
- Fluent understanding of major social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, Telegram, SnapChat
- Deep understanding of and interest in digital media, mainstream news, internet culture
- Ability to work independently
- Demonstrated writing & creative-thinking skills
- Ability to effectively prioritize and meet deadlines in a timely manner
- Excellent communication skills; verbal, written and interpersonal
- General computer proficiency
- Working with databases, coding, statistical analysis skills a plus
We offer a flexible and accommodating schedule to fit around classes and other obligations. This position is remote and available for part-time and full-time hours. This internship will start in June and extend until the end of they year.
NCoC tracks, measures and promotes civic participation and engagement in partnership with other organizations on a bipartisan, collaborative basis. At NCoC, we value excellence, creativity, and initiative. NCoC provides a nurturing work environment and generous benefits for our employees.
Lasting change is always built on diversity. NCoC is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, sexual orientation, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a special need that requires accommodation, please let us know in your application.
We are an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply. Please let us know if you have served in any of these programs. NCoC is based in Washington, DC.
How to Apply
Please fill out this application form with your resume.